To truly know Madeira island and enjoy breathtaking scenery unspoiled by man, the best way is to walk the many footpaths, and traditional paths that run through the entire municipality of Santana and provide unique experiences.
However, before you begin a trek it is vital to take into account some notions that make the practice of trekking safer.Standards of conduct:
- Stay within the trail and follow the signs;
- Avoid noise and attitudes which disturb the environment;
- Do not damage or disturb the Fauna and Flora;
- Do not leave trash; place it in the right places for this purpose;
- Do not make a fire;
- If smoking do not dispose cigarette litter on the ground, keep them;
- Respect the private property;
- Respect the local population;
- Do not destroy or modify the signage.
Recommendations for a good walk:
- Previously collected information on the route (extension, type of terrain, degree of difficulty, weather conditions);
- Use appropriate clothes and shoes, it is important not to forget that the weather conditions on the mountain are unpredictable and that many “levadas” cross the waterfalls;
- Take water and food (provisions);
- Do not leave the Group;
- Under unfavorable weather (rain, strong wind, fog) we advise against walking tours;
- Do not drink alcohol on the day of the walk;
- Do not take any risks.